Sunday, August 24, 2008

Stear clear of shrimp: A weekend update

The weekend is coming to a close which means it is time to gear up for another week at SSIS. I am looking forward to getting back in the classroom but wish the weekend wasn't over just yet...

Saturday morning a group of new teachers traveled to Song Be to visit a pottery village. Our group traveled from stall to stall where various families were selling their wears; life-size German Shepards, Snow White and her dwarves, elephant tables, large flower pots, and various table settings. It was fun to get out of the city and people watch. My eyes were tired (we left at 7:30) but also hungry. There are few things I enjoy more than taking in the sights of a country while riding in a bus (and good thing because I have 12 hours of bus riding ahead of me this weekend).

Saturday afternoon found Audrey and me meeting our Taiwanese friends from our dormitory to venture downtown. We spotted some of the famous sites- The Rex Hotel, the Post Office, and the Notre Dame Cathedral- while searching for running shoes, a tailor, and a travel agent.

Saturday evening we met up with two of my favorite teaching colleagues- Dyana and Karinna- for Singapore Slings, frozen yogurt, and refreshing conversation. I am still discovering many nooks of this suburb and enjoy doing so in the company of these ladies.

Our cabinets at school arrived this weekend so Nancy and I spent the morning planning lessons and rearranging our classroom. I sure do enjoy working with her!

On a more frustrating note, I spent this afternoon in the emergency room diagnosing an allergy to shrimp. This sounds more dramatic than it is- as all medical offices are closed on Sundays with the exception being the emergency room. I simply could not stand to remain untreated until Monday. I have been really itchy since Wednesday and trying to determine if my skin was being irritated by the chlorine in the pool, my laundry detergent, or a number of other things including an adventuresome diet. When the doctor saw my rash today she immediately asked if I had been eating shrimp. Yes! I ate shrimp for Wednesday dinner, Thursday dinner, and Saturday lunch. No longer- my doctor has ordered me to stop. This is so unfortunate as shrimp here are found in many foods and are really tasty!

I just finished watching the Olympic Closing Ceremonies. It has been really fun to watch the games every evening while unwinding at the dorm. I guess I'll need to get a new hobby now.

For all of my Minnesotan friends- please do me a favor and enjoy the "Great Minnesota Get-Together" for me. I've been clicking my heals in hopes of teleporting myself to the Fairgrounds but I have had no luck in doing so. What I would give for a cheese curd...

No comments: