Monday, August 18, 2008

In awe of owls

This evening I was enjoying a my routine in the pool when I spotted the largest bat I have ever seen. I was doing the elementary backstroke (one of 5 strokes included in my routine because I don't need to put my face in the water) when this bat with a three foot wingspan tried to dive bomb me. It wasn't until the creature was within a few feet of my face- and nearly pooped on me- that I realized this was no bat, but rather an owl. I raised a commotion and the owl decided not to try and snatch me from the water (though there is part of me that would have liked to see that happen). It flew to a poolside coconut tree and perched there.

We maintained eye contact for an unmeasured time cocking heads and checking one another out. I reluctantly returned to my "workout" but kept an eye on the owl- and good thing 'cause this guy tried to dive bomb me again. He/she repeated this twice more before finally retreating to the trees. I kept my eye on him for the remainder of my swim and tried to get a better look at his features while toweling off. In the evening light it was hard to decipher coloring and specific markings, but I am sure there were no ear tufts and upon using the "New Holland Field Guide to the Birds of South-East Asia" (which I'm borrowing from a fellow birder at SSIS) I've decided this owl was either a Barn or Grass Owl. Majestic. I was awestruck- and glad not to have actually come in contact with the bird. As I entered the dorm I heard him let out a loud screech.

In other news, Shel Silverstein was a huge hit with the kiddos! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but they were so giggly that we read for about forty minutes. They specifically enjoyed "The Whatifs" which was a favorite poem of mine as a fifth grader. It's fun to see kids so enthralled with books.

No comments: