Thursday, August 14, 2008

Xin chao from Vietnam











Phu My Hung District: My new home









The view from my room










Vietnamese wraps










Saigon South International School- SSIS










Audrey and me with our new bikes


Xin chao (Hello) friends and family,

Well... my first week of school as a student teacher is coming to an end. I'm working in a third grade classroom at Saigon South International School in a new district of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. There were many complications this week as the building is new, the rooms haven't been furnished with white boards or cupboards, there is no cafeteria, and much of the curriculum is still lost in transit. But you know what? I don't think the kids have caught onto a lot of it. They are too busy being kids. School continues; teaching and learning still occur. To be honest I think a lot of the teachers are spoiled because they are so accustomed to being well supplied. It's a good time to experience the changes of a growing school.

This week I've been leading some class activities and I am always in charge of read-aloud. Today I read Dr. Seuss' "The Butter Battle Book" and tomorrow I'll be reading from Shel Silverstein's "A Light in the Attic." I read-aloud when the kids have returned from lunch and recess. They are incredibly attentive and well mannered, though they can be silly too. This is undoubtedly my favorite part of the day. (And while writing this I am reminded that I should choose a few poems and practice my read-aloud voice).

My biggest challenge has been learning to pronounce the names of my twenty students. With names such as Ying Ying, Ye Jin, Nhu, Nayli, Jung Keun, Moeno, Jeric, Gia Hue, Dinh Anh, and Hang I had my work cut out for me! The kids are really sweet though, and we have an Olympic themed classroom which lends well to the international makeup of the class. The majority of students are Chinese and Korean. A couple students are Malaysian and Vietnamese. There's one Swede and one Japanese student. I think only 3 were born in the US. They are really sweet kids. I am already learning a lot from them!

A big announcement- I just booked my tickets for a trip to Angkor Wat, Cambodia. Audrey (the other student teacher from Luther) didn't apply for a multiple entry visa, and so she and our other close friend Dyana decided to go on their own trip here in Vietnam. So... I'm solo trekking! I'm anxious, but really looking forward to having some time to myself. Should be an exciting journey- and perhaps the trip of a lifetime (Traveling alone is on my list of 100 things to do before I die)!

In other news I have taken up biking and swimming here in the 'burbs of Ho Chi Minh City. Audrey and I purchased our very own Vietnamese bikes to take us to and from school. For $53 you too could own your own one-speed cruiser with front basket and lock. It's been a nice means of getting around town. My room overlooks the dormitory pool and I have taken to swimming most nights. The only problem is that there are 7-10 bats who also enjoy the pool during the evenings. At first I was quite startled to have bats flying within a few feet of my face, but I'm trying to be like Bruce Wayne and face my fears. I've been thinking of Batman's need to face his fears to gain the courage and strength necessary to become who he is destined to be (can you tell I just watched the Batman movies?!). It's not the bats I'm afraid of, but rather coming in contact with one and needing to get rabies shots. Anyhow, I never liked swimming much as a kid but I'm coming to really enjoy the way my body feels in the water. I think the Olympics have also inspired this renewed desire for sport... did you know that every four years (coinciding with the Olympics) enrollment for kids' gymnastics classes nearly double in size?

All for now- I'm planning to enjoy a big bowl of cereal and watch the Olympics (though it's not nearly as fun when the commentary is in Mandarin or Vietnamese).

1 comment:

Associate Professor of Education, Luther College said...

Helmets, girls? Do those spiffy new bikes come with some spiffy new helmets?

Good to hear that all is going well at SSIS. Does the dormitory have a website where I might be able to get more information? It looks like it might be a good set-up for a Ed 115/study abroad course at some point.

Look forward to reading more about your adventures. Take care.

Jim