Wednesday, September 12, 2007

In the swing of things

Time is already passing quickly here in Quito. My days are filled with class and reading now- as well as enjoying the sites with friends and my host family. I am engaged in my classes- enjoying thought provoking professors and interesting topics. I feel my course load will leave me with a general understanding of Ecuadorian society, economy, and biodiversity.

This weekend I attended my first National soccer game! It was fun to cheer for Ecuador as they beat El Salvador 5-1. My friend Cammie and I had our faces painted with the flag and were asked to pose for the National newspaper!

Sunday afternoon I attended a family reunion with my host family. There must have been 55 people at their historic home. We gathered from 11:30- 8:00 spending the day singing, dancing, and eating. It was really fun to speak with some of the cousins whom had studied in the U.S.

Before leaving for Ecuador I had a tea date with Laura Pepper and Deborah Dilaway. I enjoyed listening to their reflections from summer (and life) travels. Before we left Deborah said something that really struck me- she said that living and traveling with an open heart will allow you to see the world in a broader context. I am trying to be more intentional about opening my heart to this space and place- and feel much more present than I did traveling to Brazil or Malawi. I feel less homesick and more intune with the rhythm of the city. I´m grateful for this!

There are a lot of things I am grateful for here... for example:

The view from my bathroom. While I brush my teeth in the morning and at night I like to stand at the window and watch the sunrise or the city lights.

Good friends. I am already making great friends here from my program, and am grateful to have Malory a short walk from my house.

A welcoming host family. Lorenita, Gabi, Carolina (and our dog Chama) are so fun and friendly. They make me feel very at home and are also very patient as I practice my Spanish with them.

More later, but here is my contact info. should you want to contact me:
Katy Fiedler

c/o IES Quito
P.O. Box 17-21-1967

Ecuador


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

heyo katy, thanks for leaving a note in my blog! and yeah just checked out ya lastest entry. indeed, nothing beats a grateful heart when it comes to appreciating things and the people around you :) keep in touch eh my friend and God bless you in all your journeys!