Friday, September 14, 2007

Cake for the cake-eater

Yesterday was my birthday... and I celebrated Ecuadorian style with lots of cake, and lots of friends.

The tradition of my host family is to serve the birthday girl breakfast in bed. So at 6:59 I woke up to my host mom, sisters and dog presenting me with flowers, a gift and breakfast. Breakfast is one of my favorite things about life in Ecuador perhaps because my mom makes fresh juice everymorning! I enjoyed a glass of orange juice with toast and a large slice of cake (my first of four throughout the day). My host sister Gabi is studying to be a chef and bakes a good cake!

I had a full day of classes during which I shared chocolates from ¨Katy´s Chocolateria¨ with my friends. I felt like I was in grade school again bringing in treats for the classroom. I also enjoyed treats from friends.

My friends and I went to ¨The Zona¨ after class for conversation over drinks at a funky bar. We ended the night by singing karaoke and salsa dancing at a Hookah bar. I had a great day and appreciated spending time with friends and family here and hearing from those at home. Thanks!

My sister brought to my attention that I had listed my cell phone here incorrectly. It should be 593-9-286-1911.

No comments: