Thursday, June 25, 2009

I love this place!

This past month at Holden has been all that I had hoped for. I was so anxious to return to this place and experience village life in a new season. The transition from Spring into Summer has provided me with a taste of a new way of life here. I've traded my snowshoes and long underwear for hiking boots and my swim suit and enjoying a variety of activities only accessible after the Spring thaw. This is a magical place to be- whatever time of the year (and I think I'd like a year to prove it).

In the past month I've celebrated Cameroon's Independence Day by playing soccer beside mountains. I cut and wore my hair in a mullet for about a week. I attended Prom (for the second time in my life) and dressed as Sporty Spice as the theme was Jane Austen and all things English. I think I watched a meteor shower (my friend Tom and I sat for an hour and a half in a field and spotted no less than 12 shooting stars!). I have spent time with a new friend learning about her life as a young girl growing up when Holden was still a mine. I've traded my toilet scrubbing duties for diaper changing duties in Narnia. I've learned to serve a "Holden Scoop" (which is appx. 3 times the size of any other "scoop") of ice cream by working in the Snack Bar. Not bad for a month's work!

I've also said goodbye to many friends already. It seems that my heart has grown strong from saying so many goodbyes here and elsewhere. Good thing too because it seems some days my heart would break where it not so strong. It's hard to make so many good friends (of all ages) and see bus loads of cool folks leave daily.

No comments: