Sunday, September 14, 2008

Wonder-filled and wonderful!

It's Sunday and I have again found myself migrating to Gloria Jean's Coffees for conversation and wi fi. I find this a nice Sunday retreat- if not a bit strange still. The stereo continues to play Western pop hits and is currently playing a song in which the refrain repeats "I've got it made." I find myself singing the same tune- unconsciously sometimes. Last week treated me very well! I am learning a lot about myself as a teacher and as a person about to launch into a world full of opportunities. I am so grateful for this experience and find myself questioning why I find myself in this position of privilege. I hope I never stop asking myself how my privilege influences the way I relate in this world/to this world and how I am called to share my blessings with others.

Friday, September 12th I celebrated my 24th birthday! My school day began with a staff meeting and chorus of "Happy Birthday." I proceeded to my room where I was greeted by my students who were anxious to share hugs and homemade birthday cards. A fellow staffer presented me with a bag of lychee fruits. I shared birthday treats with my students at the end of the day- sugar infused "Hello Panda" cookies for all. Next I played a riveting round of volleyball games with the my teaching colleagues (our Friday after class tradition)and followed up with a trip to The Tavern for drinks before going out on the town with my girlfriends. It was our first evening downtown. We enjoyed ourselves: first having dinner, then strolling through the bustling streets, and finally enjoying ice cream atop a rooftop terrace. I also enjoyed receiving phone calls, emails, and Facebook messages from family and friends. I feel very loved and supported- and there's not much more one can ask for of life! A great way to celebrate my birthday!

I thought a lot about this past year as I celebrated my last birthday in Ecuador. Can't believe a year has already passed since enrolling in my courses at IES. There are so many things I miss about that place... This morning I have a Skype date arranged with some of my closest friends from my program. Can't wait to catch up with them!

On Thursday I received sad news that a good friend and church member Jim Nisser passed away in a tragic bike/car accident. I will remember Jim for his commitment to Wooddale's youth program and his kind nature. Whether he was serving pancakes at church, vending hot dogs at the Dome, recording baseball stats (be they Twins or Bulldogs), or ushering he did so selflessly and with a smile. Jim will be missed by so many and I'm wishing I could be home with the Wooddale community to mourn and celebrate Jim's life. Another reminder of the fragility of life.

Another friend from Wooddale, Jerod, asked me some thought provoking questions that have been on the back of my mind for a while. I have been meaning to answer, as I feel that others of you may have similar questions.

How do the Vietnamese feel towards America?
Do they have a realistic view of what America is like?
Are they following the presidential race?

To be honest I feel that my interactions with Vietnamese have been rather limited- for a few reasons. I live in a dormitory occupied primarily by young professionals who are predominately Taiwanese. I work at an international school staffed by a mix of mostly Canadians, Australians, and Americans. In each classroom at the school there is Vietnamese assistant though I haven't discussed these questions with any of the assistants (I'm realizing that I could/should). The other Vietnamese people I interact with on a daily basis (taxi drivers, guards, restaurant and shop owners) generally don't speak English and/or we aren't in a position to discuss American politics or compare our world views.

I do perceive the Vietnamese to be rather shy. Obviously this is a generalization, but unlike in other countries I have visited, I am rarely approached by the locals here. I receive many inquisitive looks- most often when I'm biking besides other Vietnamese, but rarely have anyone question why I am here or join me for conversation be it on the bus, at dinner, or even here at the coffee shop.

According to my guidebooks, museum visits, and conversations with other coworkers it is my understanding that many Vietnamese feel that America was a "savior" during the war. Saigon still has a strong French influence- most evident in the prevalence of French bakeries on most streets of the city. I won't pretend that I know much about the war and politics surrounding the French, American, and Vietnamese relations, but I will say that I generally feel welcomed here as an American.

American life is broadcasted on cable TV through CNN, Disney Channel, Hallmark Channel, Nickelodeon, and HBO to name a few. I fear that viewers will believe that shows such as Desperate Housewives, The Nanny, Oprah, Camp Rock, and CSI Miami represent America as a whole. Students are familiar with American cartoons, movies, and video games. I feel the view of America is one which presents the "American Dream" as being accessible for everyone living there.

CNN and BBC provide daily coverage of the presidential race. My conversations about the upcoming election are held primarily with teaching colleagues from Canada and Australia and not with the Vietnamese. Though there is a woman- seemingly Vietnamese- donning an Obama shirt here at Gloria Jean's!

And with that it is time for me to wrap up my work here. Like my third graders- filled with wonder and feeling wonderful!

No comments: